Training a dog not to jump can be a challenging task, but it is an important behavior to address as jumping can be intimidating or even dangerous for some people.
Here are some steps you can take to train your dog not to jump:
- Ignore the behavior: When your dog jumps, turn your back and ignore them. This will teach them that jumping does not get them the attention they desire.
- Use a leash: Use a leash to control your dog and prevent them from jumping on people. You can also use a leash to gently guide your dog away from people if they start to jump.
- Use positive reinforcement: Reward your dog with treats and praise when they greet people politely, such as sitting or lying down. This will teach them that good behavior is rewarded.
- Practice: Practice training your dog not to jump in a variety of situations, such as when visitors come over or when you are out for a walk. The more practice they have, the more likely they are to understand what is expected of them.
- Reduce the excitement: Dogs will jump out of excitement at initial greetings. If you or others meet your dog with a lot of excitement (high pitched voices, excited petting) you are encouraging the dog to jump out of over stimulation. Instead, when greeting your dog, be calm, initially ignore excited behavior, and then calmly reward when your dog offers you a polite sit or other acceptable behavior.
Here are some things NOT to do that could actually make the jumping worse:
- Getting upset: If you start getting upset with your dog, the emotions can actually create more excitement and insecurity in your dog, creating more jumping.
- Pushing or Kneeing the dog: Pushing the dog away can actually create “opposition reflex” in your dog. Meaning, the more you push away, the more the dog wants to push and jump on you. Some dogs may find the knee unpleasant and stop, but many will find it a fun game and increase their jumping intensity.
Remember to be consistent and patient with your training, as it may take time for your dog to learn this new behavior. If you are having trouble training your dog not to jump, it may be helpful to seek the assistance of a professional dog trainer.
Cosmic Canine offers many training programs depending on your goals and needs. Contact Us regarding our group classes, private lessons, in-home packages, and board and train options!